Saturday, April 11, 2015

Supply and Demand

I often see, in regards to the plight of the adjuncts, that supply and demand are at issue.  The argument usually goes that there are just too many people with graduate degrees out there looking for a job for anyone of us to expect a fair wage.

I wonder at the truth of it.  My initial response is that there is truth to it.  After all, my doctoral program alone graduated 4 other Ph.D. students along with me.  When one considers that the Modern Language Association advertises for about 50 jobs in my field a year, it's easy to see that there is a possibility that there are, in fact, too many of us.

The real evidence of jobs, however, isn't a professional organization's Job Information List; it's whether or not you can get a teaching gig.  So, let's just consider that for a minute.  Last Summer, I looked for adjunct teaching jobs in my area.  I applied to four schools.  I received offers from 3.  One wanted me to teach 3 courses a quarter.  Another wanted me to teach a 2/2 load.  Finally, the third wanted me to teach a 2/3 load.  The fourth has a policy in place against hiring people with Ph.D.s. so I didn't get a job there.  I was also asked to teach at a Sylvan Learning Center.

Even turning quarters into semesters, I was offered a 7/8 load.  Essentially, I was given the opportunity to cover the job of 2 1/2 teachers/instructors/adjunct.  Why is that?  Am I a super teacher?  Am I known throughout the land?

No.  Again, no. And in fact, if you don't believe me, I urge you to call the people who write your letters of rec. Were any of them called when you were hired?  Did anyone check on you to help break a tie in the hiring process?

The reality is that there aren't enough teachers to go around.  That's why all of us are capable of getting enough jobs to teach 2x or 3x as much as we should.  If there were a bunch of people waiting in the wings to take our jobs away, they would have.  Perception is an interesting thing.  I am assured constantly that there is a desperate supply of English professors out there waiting to take my position.  Well, where are they?  I don't know any of them.  Do they hide somewhere?

No.  They don't exist.  Look, this isn't McDonald's.  You can't just be replaced.  You have a graduate degree and they have A LOT of students.  They need us.  They should pay us.

Our Facebook Group can be found at https://www.facebook.com/groups/ClevelandStateUniversity/

No comments:

Post a Comment