Wednesday, March 11, 2015

My letter to the President

Dear President Obama,

                I am writing you this letter though it might, easily, cost me my job.  I say this because I am an adjunct professor at Cleveland State University.  Recently, as I was reading the Facebook posts of my fellow adjuncts circulating after February 25th (National Adjunct Walkout Day), I happened upon a fellow adjunct professor who wondered whether you knew about adjunct professors and our plight.  I didn’t know.  That’s why I’m writing you this letter.

                Let me begin by saying that my name is Dr. Brian Johnson.  I have a doctorate in English from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, where I graduated five years ago.  I have a $140,000 in student debt, two children, and I make $14,000 a year.  While I’m on the subject of presenting important statistics, I belong to a class of professors who generally make less than $15,000 a year and who make up 75% of this nation’s teaching force in higher education.  I will say that again, because it’s important, 75% of college teachers make less than $15,000 a year.

                At one time, the adjunct work force was much smaller, and was made up almost entirely of professionals who wanted to earn a little extra money on the side, but now American colleges, all of them, are replacing retired faculty with adjuncts in order to save money.  The job I trained to do for 9 years of my life, after graduating from college, has been replaced by a low-paying doppelganger which requires the same amount of work, but pays 20% as much.  Most of the rejection letters I receive from tenure track job searches list between 300 and 800 candidates for the job:  300-800 people with Ph.D.s in 20th Century American literature, and every year, the universities around the country graduate more doomed souls into this dried up labor pool.

                Moreover, my job has no security.  Last year, I was let go from Case Western Reserve University.  Nobody told me why.  They didn’t have to.  The rumor is that it was because I had to watch my children, and couldn’t, therefore, go to non-mandatory meetings on Friday afternoons.  The rumor is that my contract was not renewed because I have children.  I could sue for discrimination if I were working in any other field, but because I am an adjunct, I don’t have those basic rights despite the fact that I am a citizen of this country.

                On the 25th of February, I walked off my job for a day with my fellow adjuncts around the country to protest my treatment.  My department seems to support me.  Even my dean seems supportive, but let me be blunt, my contract here will not be renewed.  I know this.  I will be let go.  I won’t be told why.  I won’t have a recourse against this injustice.  My only consolation is that I will be let go from a job where I make less than minimum wage for my efforts.

                The result of the adjunctification of higher education is frightening.  Adjuncts are working 250% of full loads at multiple institutions just to make ends meet.  How much time can they honestly give to a single student when they’re teaching 150 or more students a semester?  Fewer and fewer full time professors exist in departments and most of those that remain are pulled into low level administrative positions over the adjuncts.  The adjuncts are removing scholarly rigor from their class because they haven’t the time to do things like grade essays or even to check in with students on whether or not they’re reading.  I will repeat, because of the overworking of adjuncts, reading the course material has become optional in many college campuses.  The American Education System, at its top, is toppling.  I cannot imagine what would happen if the 75% just decided one day, rightly, that they could make more money working the counter at a fast food restaurant.   

                What is happening in this country is sickening, but it isn’t criminal.  I have no legal recourse against whatever the university does to me.  I, an American citizen with an advanced degree and an avalanche of student debt, am treated like a second-class citizen.  I have no legal recourse for discrimination at my workplace.  I cannot complain if I am let go without explanation.  I cannot even organize to improve my situation.  My only hope is to either leave the job I love and for which I feel called into service, or to change the system.

                Mr. President, I know that you are concerned with situations like mine.  I also know that the adjunct problem remains quiet because of a very real fear of reprisals, and so I know that this may be the first time you’ve really heard the scope of the threat now facing American colleges and universities.  I ask you, in the name of 75% of the higher education workforce, help us, please!

Thank you for your time and for your support,




Dr. Brian Johnson, an adjunct at Cleveland State University

No comments:

Post a Comment