Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Things we can do, part 1 (overview)

Don't get me wrong.  I think we did a great job on adjunct walkout day.  We should all pat ourselves on our backs for what we managed.  We got the administration's attention, and given that the AAUP wants to set up a meeting with us, I think we also got the attention of the faculty.

But we aren't done by a long shot.  So, here is what I think needs to happen now.

Generally speaking, I think we need to make noise on five separate fronts, all of which are equal in importance.

First, we need to meet in the real world.  Second, we need to start making inroads with student groups.  Third, we need to start forging alliances, wherever possible, between ourselves and the full timers.  Fourth, we need to join the national conversation going on between adjuncts.  Fifth, we need to generate a national conversation politically around the cause.

While all of this is going on, someone needs to enumerate the problems that we face as adjuncts.  Somebody pointed out, for instance, that we are given the shrift when it comes to gaining permission for research.  Clearly, also, parking is a problem.  Clearly, also, semester long contracts are a problem.  Clearly, office space in an asbestos laden half-abandoned building is a problem.  I would add that we have no options when CSU stays open and our children's school closes.  I would also add that we have no ability to file as independent contractors, that we often start work without contracts, that our contracts can be let go without much explanation, etc.  See what I'm doing there?  I need help from people in doing that.

Having said all of this, I'm proposing that the next few blog posts address things that can be done on our end to keep this fight going.

No comments:

Post a Comment