Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Things We Can Do, part 3 (Contact the Teacher's Union)

Look, right now, I have 6 high schoolers in my classes.  Six.  Are they gifted?  Are they prodigies or something?  No.  I'm not even sure they're all Seniors, and my guess is that they aren't.

Quick question:  what do you think high school English teachers think about losing classes to a college professor.  What do you think they think about their job markets getting smaller and smaller?  I'm guessing that they wouldn't be too happy about it.  Do they know the extent of it?  Do they know, for instance, that the state's trying to get 7th-12th taught by college professors.

https://www.ohiohighered.org/content/college_credit_plus_resources_administrators

Do they know that the state is pushing for this because the college professors in question are adjuncts and are making 10k a year on average?

I'm guessing not.  Something tells me though, that if their union was told about this, a pretty big stink might be made regarding the way the state is attempting to adjunctify primary education.

I'm calling a friend of mine tonight to see if he can help me determine who we should contact, but if any of you already know, or if anyone already has people who are at work in that union, I suggest you start making those phone calls.  This smells like press coverage to me.  In fact, if Ohio were accused of short changing it's students 7-12, it might easily become a national conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment